|Secretariat||American College of Radiology|
|Chairs||Judith Wolfman, MD, Northwestern Memorial (ACR)|
Janet E. Keyes, Hologic, Inc.
|Last strategy update||2019-04-05|
To develop extensions to DICOM to support breast imaging and reporting thereof, including structured reporting of Computer-Aided Detection / Diagnosis (CAD) results.
Current Supplements, Work and Objectives:
- Dormant since January 2014, no new work item proposals, relevant CPs handled by email
- CPs in the pipeline that affect mammography image and related DICOM SR IODs:
- Add more compression information to Dose SR: force, pressure, contact area (CP-1770 completed Letter Ballot in CPack-100)
- Additions to Breast Imaging Report [templates] (CP-1838 final text January 2019)
Challenges and Opportunities(Environment):
- Monitor future developments in breast imaging technologies, and the need to store and exchange resulting images and related information in DICOM.
- Monitor future developments in CAD research, particularly those that make the technology actively interactive with radiologists.
- Requests for future work items will be dependent on the active participation of vendors and clinicians that perceive a need to expand the DICOM Standard in a specific area, and support of the Secretariat for those work items. Some items may require cooperation from other working groups.
Future Roadmap and Objectives (Committee Direction):
The following are potential work items with respect to Structured Reporting, based on demand from participants:
- Maintenance of the existing Mammography CAD, Chest CAD, Colon CAD and Breast Imaging structured reports and associated coded terminology, based on the ACR BI-RADS® Atlas.
- Update Breast Imaging Report templates and context groups relative to ACR BI-RADS Atlas Fifth Edition, including MRI Section.
- Extension of CAD objects to support new modalities and applications, such as CAD for breast tomosynthesis.
- The following are potential work items with respect to Image IODs, based on demand from participants:
- Maintenance of the existing Digital Mammography X-Ray, Breast Tomosynthesis and Breast Projection X-Ray Image IODs, and breast x-ray dose reporting portions of the X-Ray Radiation Dose SR IOD,
- Addition of attributes or modules to describe DX/Mammography quality control and phantom images.
- Supplement 165 Breast Projection X-Ray Image Storage SOP Classes (2014)
- Supplement 126 Colon CAD SR SOP Class (2009)
- Supplement 125 Breast Tomosynthesis Image Storage SOP Class (2008)
- Supplement 79 Breast Imaging Report Templates (2004)
- Supplement 75 Relevant Patient Information Query Service Class (2004)
- Supplement 65 Chest CAD SR SOP Class (2003)
- Supplement 50 Mammography CAD SR SOP Class (2001)
- Supplement 53 DICOM Content Mapping Resource (2001)
- Supplement 32 Digital X-Ray Image Storage SOP Classes (1998)