|Secretariat||Medical Imaging & Technology Alliance (MITA)|
Lisa Spellman, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Last strategy update||2018-09-21|
- WG-12 addresses DICOM standardization issues of modality-specific interest to users of medical ultrasound imaging and review devices.
- No work items are currently in process or approved.
- New activities that need to be submitted as work items and developed:
- ASE/EACVI is proposing development of a new Strain Structured Report template following the pattern of Simplified Adult Echocardiography report. ASE/EACVI is also suggesting development of a new ultrasound image IOD suitable for speckle analysis.
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) is proposing enhancement to the Ultrasound Image IODs to include acquisition information to support image Quality Control activities.
- New collaborations with other working groups:
- WG-1 is currently working to update the Echocardiography report templates to align with current ASE measurement recommendations. WG-12 needs to collaborate with WG-1 to reconcile the future roles of the old TID 5200 Echocardiography Procedure Report and the new TID 5300 Simplified Echo Procedure Report.
- In collaboration with WG-11, develop a multi-dimensional presentation state supplement
- Supplement 43 (3D/4D) achieved Final Text in April, 2009.
- Supplement 78 (Pediatric Echo Structured Reporting) achieved Final Text in March, 2010.
- WG-12 has active relationship with the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- No supplements, change proposals, or work items are currently active.
- The Industry Chair, Joe Luszcz, is stepping down as chair because of changes to his role at Philips
- A “call for work items” was made to WG-12 membership in November, 2016
- The American Society of Echocardiography/European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (ASE/EACVI) representative Dr. Jim Thomas proposed work on strain echo related items. See “Future Roadmap” below.
- No other members have responded.
Lack of implementations of Supplement 43 that would exercise the new standard.
Challenges and Opportunities
- Challenges: Supplements in Final Text most recently developed by WG-12 have not seen any significant adoption, including Supplement 43 “Storage of 3D Ultrasound Images” and Supplement 169 “Simplified Adult Echocardiographic Report”. We need to understand why this is and determine what changes to DICOM development procedures would improve the timeliness of completion and likelihood of adoption of WG work products.
- Challenges: WG-12 has been dormant for two years, and needs to be revived to address the activities cited below.
- Relationships to Other Standards
- IHE, HL7, LOINC and SNOMED terminology