|Secretariat||Medical Imaging & Technology Alliance (MITA)|
Luiza Kowalczyk, firstname.lastname@example.org
|Chair||Bjoern Nolte, Siemens-Healthinners|
|Editor||David Clunie, MBBS, PixelMed Publishing|
|Last strategy update||2018-09-25|
- Executing the DICOM Maintenance Process (Correction Proposals). The process is used to make “corrections and minor changes” to the current versions of the Standard. Any corrections made are processed using the normal Letter Ballot procedures as defined by NEMA.
- Provision of technical coordination and guidance for all WGs. This includes review and official approval before the Public Comment, Letter Ballot, and Final Text draft releases of all supplements.
- Development of Supplements to the standard related to Print, Image Management, Workflow Management, etc.
- Tracking the progress of workitems and supplement and report stalled items (no activity over a period of three years) to the DICOM Standards Committee.
- Coordination of joint development efforts with ASTM (DICOS), ISO and JIRA.
- Coordination with MITA for the publication of DICOM.
On-going DICOM Maintenance Process:
- Correction Proposals submitted by the members and other interested parties will continue to be considered by the WG-06
- All Correction Proposals accepted by WG-06 and designated for inclusion into voting package, will be published on the FTP server for the comments by all DICOM Committee members at least 2 weeks before the WG-06 meeting considering such voting package for Letter Ballot
- A regular CP telecon one week before the face to face meeting is now part of the WG-06 meeting process. This teleconferencing for CP processing has been successful for reducing the time needed for CPs in the face to face meetings by about 2 hours. Roughly half of the CPs are handled in the teleconference with only the final approval vote for confirmation at the face to face meeting. The others require face to face discussion.
Potential work items of other Working Groups:
- WG-06 will provide assistance to the working groups working on their assigned work items.
- All work items (as supplements to DICOM Standard) approved by DSC and prepared by corresponding working groups will be accepted for review by WG-06 and for preparation of Letter Ballot.
- All Supplements approved by the Letter Ballot will be considered in order to prepare Final Text, with addressing of any comments received.
There is a proposed new work item to provide a change management SOP class or classes, as well as normative behavioral text to support the long term management of DICOM objects.
There is an approved new work item to define a Multi-frame Converted Legacy Image SOP Class to allow the fast transfer of series of images in a multi-frame SOP Instance instead of individual single images. This prevents delays by waiting for response message for each individual image.
WG-06 has begun a regular joint session with WG-20 at every meeting to review HL7 project efforts (similar to DICOM Work Items) and coordinate CPs between HL7 and DICOM. The first of these meetings was held in November 2016. Relevant HL7 projects are now being tracked together with DICOM work items.
- The publication in multiple forms, including XML, continues. There is both positive and negative feedback regarding the continuous integration of CPs and more frequent publication. Users of the standard appreciate the publication of a new DICOM standard with all final text CPs fully integrated. Unfortunately, this has also caused those less familiar with the process and meaning of CPs to view DICOM as becoming less stable as a standard.
- Maintenance of the other formats, especially the CHTML format, with a stable “current” URL is leading to an increasing use of direct links to the standard from other documents. This is a desirable trend that should be encouraged. Instead of seeing only a large and intimidating 8,000 page collection of PDF documents, the public users are getting directed access to specific sections.
Completed Work Items
- Supplement 96 – Unified Performed Procedure Step
Current Work Items
- Supplement 115 – Evidence SOP Class -In early draft. No progress.
- Supplement 164: Contrast Agent Administration SR Storage- Being prepared for Final Text
- 24 CPs were added to the standard (CPack-96)
- 11 CPs were approved for Letter Ballot (CPack-97)
- 19 CPs were placed in the Voting Package for September 2018, (CPack-98)
Workload is decreasing due to the limited number of supplements in progress. But a number of supplements in progress need substantial support from WG-06 due the introduction of new and complex functionality or inexperienced editors.
Challenges and Opportunities
The workload of WG-06 has increased slightly, and now does not fit the allocated meeting time. Reviewing workload is somewhat greater than the meeting time available. To achieve additional progress T-cons are being used.
Relationships to other Standards
- WG-06 functions as conduit for joint work with ISO TC215.
- Progress of the IHE initiative is being regularly reviewed by WG-06.